ANOTHER blank scoreline for the Blue Brazil on the road, but Tuesday’s draw maintained the eight point gap with the League 2 bottom side.

But it was a chance to move closer to Annan Athletic and Albion Rovers above them and Cowden had 17 shots at goal, with nine of them on target, but veteran former Dunfermline ‘keeper, Davie Hutton, defied them time and time again.

On the plus side the Blues edged closer to safety by stopping Brechin collecting a win, and a victory at Stenhousemuir on Saturday could all but give them that.

Brechin made a good start and a shot from Conor Coupe flew just over the Cowdenbeath bar within a minute.

In 11 minutes Cowden force a corner, and from Fraser Mullen’s set piece skipper Craig Barr’s header was palmed away by Hutton.

Five minutes later the Blues got another corner and this time Barr headed inches wide. Then in 21 minutes Graham Taylor got into a good position and Hutton made a fine save to keep the winger’s shot out.

Taylor was looking pretty sharp and soon after he latched onto a Mullen cross but headed wide from close in. The Blues’ goal famine was underlined by this passage of play.

Eight minutes from the break it was Hutton to the rescue again for City when he brilliantly blocked Iain Russell’s close in effort then Robbie Buchanan, following up, saw his effort stopped by the goalie.

The second period opened with the Blues forcing another set piece and Barr’s effort was booted off the line by Kieran Inglis, then Renton saw his 19 yarder go just wide.

However, Brechin were still dangerous and Bobby Barr saw his 20 yarder just miss the target, then with 22 minutes left Chris McKee moved in from the wing for City, and his crisp shot warmed Hogarth’s hands.

Cowden tried to step up their game in the closing quarter and in 71 minutes Buchanan’s 20 yarder was saved by Hutton and two minutes later the ‘keeper held on to Renton’s 14 yarder.

With 13 minutes left Brechin again threatened when Inglis’ shot was well saved by Hogarth at the expense of a corner and from the set piece Scott Reekie headed wide.

In 80 minutes another Craig Barr header had Hutton at full stretch to keep the ball out and sub Zander Miller fired the rebound against the post but there were still no goals for the Blues.

Brechin City: Hutton (8); McIntosh (7), Coupe (7) (Slaven73 (3)), Page (7), Reekie (7), Hussain (6),Inglis (7) (McLevy 86 (2)), M Paton, (7) (C Paton 86 (2)), McKee (7), O’Connor (6), Barr (7). Subs not used, McLauchlan, Bollan, Currie, Jordan and O’Neil (gk).

Cowdenbeath: Nicky Hogarth (7); Fraser Mullen (7), Ryan Finnie (7), Jamie Todd (7), Craig Barr (7), Kyle Miller (7), Robbie Buchanan (6), Kyle Hutton (6), Kris Renton (6), Iain Russell (7) (Zander Miller 66 (3)), Graham Taylor (7) (Harvey Swann 87 (2)). Subs not used, Gavin Morrison, Jamie Pyper, Mikey Herd, Ross Pollock, Olly Hamilton, Jay Sandison and Mac Whyte (gk).

Referee-Matthew MacDermid (7).