WHILE the freezing weather took a heavy toll on Saturday’s Non League card, Kelty Hearts showed great ambition after their Scottish Cup-tie with Stranraer scheduled for New Central Park was in danger through a frozen pitch.

They took the opportunity to move the tie to Stark’s Park and it turned into a real old fashioned cup thriller in a tie which kicked off at 6pm.

Hearts grabbed a two goal first-half lead, but the League 2 side gradually came back into the game and in a dramatic end grabbed the winner in time added on.

Kelty had a team of heroes who came close to creating history for the club by making round three of the Scottish Cup.

Hearts started the game very positively, had a lot of quality possession and in 18 minutes skipper Michael Tidser saw his powerful 20 yarder well saved by Greg Fleming.

Seven minutes later Kelty were ahead. Jamie Stevenson did the spadework and Nathan AUSTIN steadied himself before firing a 22 yarder into the top corner of the net.

A couple of minutes later Stranraer retaliated when Daryl Duffy got space on the edge of the Kelty box and his shot was blocked by Scott Hooper

The Lowland League side was looking for a second and got it in the 37th minute when Austin was making ground into the Stranraer box and was fouled by Scott Robertson.

A penalty it was and Kallum HIGGINBOTHAM made an expert job of his spot-kick and a minute later Ross Philp came close to a third.

A good first 45 minute for the Hearts, but they knew they had to deny Stranraer a way back into the game and in 48 minutes they got their lifeline.

Andy Stirling made the opening and his pass was taken by Thomas ORR who fired an unsaveable shot past Scott Jamieson.

Jamieson then came to the rescue for Kelty with a fine save from Adam Cummins before Ruari Paton fired just wide.

Just before the hour Austin saw Fleming save well and then Dylan Easton shot over, before Higginbotham saw his shot blocked by a packed Stranraer defence.

However, in 63 minutes the League 1 side levelled the tie when Stirling’s cross was headed home by ROBERTSON.

Kelty were finding it a tough ask now but kept battling and Higginbotham went close before Easton saw his 20 yarder blocked.

It looked like extra-time, but in the 94th minute Hooper fouled sub James Hilton, as he shaped to shoot, and PATON coolly converted the spot-kick to put the visitors into the third round.

However, it was a brave show by Hearts who at times looked the better side, especially in an impressive first-half.

Hearts boss Barry Ferguson felt his team paid for a bad second-half spell: “We were excellent in the first-half but after the break we had a crazy 20 minute spell.

“You have to give Stranraer credit though, they deserved to win the tie over all.”

Kelty Hearts: Jamieson; Stevenson, Boyle; Hooper, Hill, Reilly; Higginbotham, Tidser, Austin, Easton, Philp (Anderson 86). Subs not used, Cooney, Shanley, Reid and Donaldson.

Stranraer: Fleming; Robertson, Cummins; Gallagher, Sonkur, Millar; Stirling, Paton, Duffy (Vitoria 74), Orr, McManus (Hilton 89). Subs not used, Burns, Elliott, Devitt, Yates and Walker.

Referee-Lorraine Watson.

Saturday’s fixtures, Lowland League, Kelty Hearts v BSC Glasgow 3pm.

East of Scotland Premier league, Crossgates Primrose v Dunbar United 2pm, Dundonald Bluebell v Tranent 2pm, Hill of Beath Hawthorn v Broxburn 2.30pm.

East of Scotland First Division Conference B, Lochgelly Albert v Peebles Rovers 2pm, Luncarty v Lochore Welfare 2pm.