KELTY Hearts produced the best result of the area’s Non League sides, by winning at Brechin City in the Betfred Cup.

There was also a fine East of Scotland Premier League derby win for Dundonald Bluebell against Hill of Beath and there were creditable draws for Crossgates Primrose and Lochgelly Albert.

Brechin City 0, Kelty Hearts 2.

WHILE in the big picture there was really nothing at stake in this Betfred Group C clash with neither team having a chance to qualify for the knock-out stages, there was added edge to the tie through the sides being denied meeting in the Pyramid Play-off final last season by Covid-19.

City were bottom of League 2 and Hearts were Lowland League winners, but the abandonment of football in March through the virus saw the two leg situation not take place.

And Hearts took the opportunity to show that they were more than a match for the current Glebe Park side.

Kelty took the initiative and Dylan Easton brought out a good save from the City ‘keeper Lewis McMinn.

Hearts had the better of things and Kallum Higginbotham went close but at the other end home player-boss Michael Paton fired in an effort which almost brought the opener.

Goalless at the break Hearts went ahead four minutes into the second period when good work by Higginbotham set up Easton who blasted a 20 yarder past McMinn.

Brechin retaliated and created a couple of decent openings, but 11 minutes from time Robbie McNab assured an away win with a fine finish from a free-kick just outside the box.

The result made a huge statement from a Kelty point of view, and gave them their first Betfred points.

Dundonald Bluebell 3, Hill of Beath Hawthorn 2.

A FIERY Premier League derby which saw both teams finish short of players.

The clubs have had real injury problems this fixture saw the managers have to play lads out of position, but it was a thrilling contest.

After an even start Bluebell went ahead in 22 minutes when Chris Gay fired over a fine cross and Stuart Cargill guided a headed past the visitors’ trialist ‘keeper.

On the half hour a clearance by Haws’ Bradley Grieve took a wicked deflection of Cargill and few into the net to double the lead.

Bluebell had managed to defend well a number of corners from Haws, but before the break the visitors pulled one back when a long pass from Calum Adamson set up Joe Kirby who cut inside and fired a lovely shot past James Lennox.

Just short of the hour Hill of Beath levelled when Lennox pulled off a good save but Daniel Watt thumped home the rebound.

So it was game on now but in 75 minutes tempers flared when Watt was red carded after his foot landed on an opponent’s body as he was making a run, and then Bluebell’s Billy Rogerson received a red after a midfield challenge, and in the same incident Haws’ Shaun Leishman was sent off for a second yellow for intervening in the situation.

So it was 10 against 9 for the closing moments and with three minutes left a cross hit the inside of a Haws’ post and Kieran Dall got the ball over the line to win the game for Dundonald.

The result leaves Bluebell on 13 points from seven games and Haws on 12 from nine.

‘Bell boss Kevin Fotheringham said: “I felt a couple of the red cards were a little harsh but it was a really old fashioned feisty derby clash.

“Injuries during the game saw us have to play striker Barry Sibanda and midfielder Lewis McKenzie in the middle of the defence in the last half hour and they did brilliantly to help us make it seven points from three games.”

Haws’ boss John Mitchell was left perplexed at time up: “What a strange day. Without a ‘keeper through three being either injured or ill, I am indebted to Lochgelly United for allowing Rab McFarlane join us as a trialist for the game.

“Then we lose a freak second goal, but get back into the game and are level and looking to go on and win it, then the players lose their discipline yet again and we are left short handed. They have to improve this aspect of their game swiftly.”

Tynecastle 3, Crossgates Primrose 3.

PRIMROSE would be pleased with the East of Scotland Premier League point, but it should have been all three.

Crossgates made an indifferent start and fell behind in nine minutes, but they started to create chances and Scott Lawrie and Archie Campbell went close before the equaliser came after 29 minutes when a bad tackle saw the visitors awarded a penalty and Lawrie levelled from the spot.

Campbell was proving a real handful for Tynecastle and three minutes from the break he struck to put them ahead.

The home side started the second period well and levelled 12 minutes into the half but Primrose soon re-asserted themselves and grabbed the lead again four minutes later when midfielder Ciaran Chalmers finished superbly.

It was looking like Crossgates were heading for their second win of the campaign, then with ten minutes to go Tynecastle grabbed the equaliser.

The result leaves Primrose on seven points from eight games and in 14th place.

Lochgelly Albert 1, Glenrothes 1.

THE Berts fully deserved their point off fancied Glens, in this East of Scotland First Division Conference B derby at Gardiner’s Park.

Glenrothes have spent a lot of money in looking to win this division, but they found the going hard at the Tap of the Toun and in 25 minutes Sammi Mitchell went close for the Albert when he saw his shot blocked by a defender with the ‘keeper beaten.

The opener did come in 35 minutes when Stephen Stark’s shot hit a Glenrothes arm in the box and he converted the spot-kick.

Then Mitchell cleverly went through and was in on the ‘keeper but slipped as he shot and the chance was missed.

A goal up at the break Lochgelly continued to defend well , although were struggling to create openings at the other end.

It looked like they would hold on but a late 30 yard free-kick earned Glens a draw leaving the Berts on five points from seven games.

Secretary Ian Patrick was disappointed not to win: “We defended well throughout the game and it looked like we were going to hold on, but the equaliser was a fantastic shot which was worthy of levelling the game.”

Burntisland Shipyard 3, Lochore Welfare 1.

LOSING three goals in a 15 minute spell in the first period cost Welfare dear in this Conference B game at the Shippy.

After opening the game well they gave away a very sloppy goal through some bad passing in their own half, and conceded two more goals soon after.

Three down at the break Lochore brought on Sean Cusick and Kellar Harris for the second period and they opened the half well with Aaron Wood coming close to pulling one back.

Cusick saw a shot cleared off the line and then his header pulled one back.

Scott Small saw a shot brilliantly saved as Welfare dominated but the second goal would not come.

Lochore’s bad day was complete when their best player, Joe Dawson, was sent off for a second yellow late on.

The result leaves Lochore third bottom on three points and manager James Adam commented: “We contributed to all three Shippy goals ourselves with some careless work.

“The second-half was so much better but the damage had been done earlier.”

Saturday’s fixtures, Lowland League, Kelty Hearts v Cumbernauld Colts 3pm. Soccer Shop Direct Challenge Cup, Dundonald Bluebell v Kirkintilloch Rob Roy 2pm, Glasgow University v Hill of Beath Hawthorn 2.30, Coldstream v Crossgates Primrose 2.30. East of Scotland First Division Conference B, Lochore Welfare v Luncarty 2pm.