A 13-year old schoolboy who dreams of becoming a chef despite an accident that left him badly burned, is now getting a helping hand from a professional chef.

Last year, Charles Rudalski was badly scalded on the face and shoulder when a camping kettle exploded during an outdoor cooking activity class at Lumphinnans Primary School.

Despite his accident, Charles, now a pupil at Beath High School, is still passionate about cooking, and determined to pursue his dream.

Having read about Charles’ story on social media, John Quinn, a professional chef from foodservice provider, Bidfood Scotland, was moved to contact his family and offer his services to help him achieve his goal.

As part of John’s plans to mentor Charles, the pair spent the day cooking together on Friday with Charles learning invaluable, professional cooking skills.

Together they prepared, cooked and served a delicious three-course meal from scratch to Charles’ friends, family and teachers from Beath High, as well as Senior Managers from Bidfood Scotland.

The menu for the lunch was: smoked & cured mackerel, apple puree, radish, coriander and sultanas; venison loin, skirlie, wild mushroom pithivier, potato puree, roast baby roots; and chocolate cake, black forest flavours, cherry gel, toasted meringue and lemon

Speaking about working with Charles, John Quinn, Development Chef at Bidfood Scotland, said: “I read about Charles’ accident on social media and was completely bowled over by his bravery and determination.

"Not only in coping with his injuries, but overcoming his fears as a result of the accident, to follow his dream of becoming a professional chef. His story really touched my heart and I plan to do whatever I can to help him make his dream a reality, as everyone deserves to live out their passion.”

John plans to take Charles on site visits to see a real kitchen in action when they go to the Dakota Hotel, in Glasgow, in the coming months.