A FIFE Council investigation into an incident where three pupils were taken to hospital after a camping kettle exploded has found a "gap in training".

The children, aged 11 and 12, from Lumphinnans Primary were scalded during an extra-curricular activity in a wooded area at the back of the school in June last year.

It was reported that 10 pupils were taking part in the event and using a piece of camping equipment called a Kelly Kettle, with two boys and a girl taken to Kirkcaldy's Victoria Hospital with burns to their faces and bodies after it exploded and splashed them with boiling water.

It's understood one of the children had to be treated in intensive care and remained in hospital for a week.

A full investigation was launched with Carrie Lindsay, the council's director of education, saying at the time: "Our thoughts are with the children who were injured."

That has now concluded and service manager Neil Finnie said: “Following last year’s incident a full health and safety investigation was carried out.

“It was found that a gap in training and formal risk assessment resulted in the misuse of the Kelly Kettle.

“Since then we have taken steps to make sure that any staff working with a Kelly Kettle must have had training in its use and that the proper risk assessment has been carried out.

"A safety alert and updated instructions have also been sent to all schools.”