THE Scottish Fire and Rescue Service is warning of the dangers of fire within stairwells and landings after four people were rescued from a flat in Cardenden.

The warning comes after Fife crews responded to a fire within a stairway at a block of flats in the Cardenden area in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Four casualties were passed into the care of the Scottish Ambulance Service for precautionary checks, but no one required hospital treatment.

Following the incident, firefighters are keen to shine a light on the dangers of leaving discarded rubbish within common areas.

Station Manager Iain Brocklebank works within Prevention and Protection across including at Lochgelly and said: “We would always urge people not to leave rubbish, combustibles or bins in their common stairwells, and to keep these areas clear.

"Abandoned rubbish can be very attractive to fire setters and increases the risk of a fire.

“Particularly at this time of year we see old Christmas trees and decorations ready to be disposed of."

He added: "Things like discarded items of furniture can produce large amounts of toxic smoke restricting escape for occupants and access for emergency personnel.

“You can reduce the risk of fire for yourself and your neighbours by keeping common stairs clear and free from obstruction and making sure main doors are kept locked. "

Mr Brocklebank added: “I cannot stress enough the importance of having a working smoke alarm. Every household should have one and residents should test these every week.

“We provide free home fire safety visits and can fit smoke alarms where required.”