POLICE and schools in Fife were expecting planned violence ahead of a teenager being after the Cardenden bonfire and fireworks display.

A 17-year-old boy was attacked by around eight youths after the community event taking place at Wallsgreen Park on Friday, November 9.

Police advised local schools, including Lochgelly High School, to send out letters to both parents and pupils over the dangers of carrying weapons and attending potentially violent incidents.

Inspector Gavin Cameron, from Cowdenbeath Police Station, said: "As a result of our continued engagement with young people through our school link officers, we became aware of suggestions disorder and violence involving local youths were to take place within the Cardenden and Lochgelly areas.

"We liaised with staff at the various schools in these locations and requested that a message be issued to pupils highlighting the risks associated with being involved in crimes of violence.

"Through Operation Path we remain committed to tackling violence of all forms and will continue to work closely with all relevant partners to achieve this."

Gordon Wardrope, Fife Council education officer, said: "Acting on Police advice, pupils in Kirkcaldy and Lochgelly High Schools were recently reminded of the serious consequences of carrying weapons and planning to attend altercations, even if just to spectate."

The 17-year-old victim was targeted at a bus stop near the Central Bar in Cardenden at around 9.15pm after attending the display which was attended by thousands of people.

The teenager, from Kirkcaldy, attended the display with another family member and two girls. A stranger, of the same age, was said to have approached him at the park and asked to “shake his hand”.

Another boy asked the same question, before he was spotted trying to take a “shiny” object out of his trousers.

The victim then ran from Wallsgreen Park towards the bus stop before the attack took place.

He was taken to hospital with non life-threatening injuries after a group of girls intervened and ran for help.

Police inquiries remain ongoing.