SATURDAY’S junior programme saw goals galore as three teams marched into the second round of the Fife and Lothians Cup while in the South Division Lochgelly Albert shared six goals with third top side Pumphertson.

In the East of Scotland League Kelty Hearts were made to work for their win at Burntisland.

Dunbar United 4,

Hill of Beath Hawthorn 5.

A REAL Fife and Lothians Cup thriller this one with the game in the balance to the closing seconds.

Haws were back to their best in an attacking sense but defensively they struggled and to be fair Premier League Dunbar played some good stuff.

The home side made a good start and grabbed the lead in two minutes when Stuart Hall failed to hold a corner and the ball hit him in the face and went into the net but it was not long before Haws were back level with a neat finish from Lewis Elder from a Calum Adamson cross.

Neither defence was coping well and it was Hill of Beath who were to strike next when Lee Reid converted with a good header but back came United and they squared things with an own goal from John McCulloch.

But it was not long before Haws were back in front before the break with another fine goal from Elder after Greg Smith’s cross but Dunbar scored again in 55 minutes as the visiting defending gave the hosts too much space.

When Dunbar went 4-3 up with 15 minutes left things were looking bleak for Haws but in 80 minutes Aaron Hay scored after a goalmouth scramble to square the game and then in the closing stages a fine header from Reid gave the visitors the verdict.

Haws boss Kevin Fotheringham was not impressed with his team’s defending: “Our work defensively has been our strength this season but not at Dunbar.

“We made so many uncharacteristic errors but on the plus side we scored some cracking goals and were really good going forward. With the league resuming this coming Saturday we need to put both facets of the game together for the visit of Carnoustie”

Dalkeith Thistle 1,

Dundonald Bluebell 2.

A REALLY tough examination for the Bluebell who had to grind out a win in this Fife and Lothians tie on the road.

Bluebell had the better of the early stages and really should have scored inside five minutes but in the eighth minute the opener came when Colin Wilson headed home a corner.

Thistle were dangerous at times and looked a pretty compact side but they were caught out again in 18 minutes when a good move saw Calum Smith sweep the ball in to the net with an overhead kick.

It was all about the ‘Bell at this stage but some good work defensively saw Thistle get to the break only two down although Lewis McKenzie twice should have scored as should have Barry Sibanda, and three minutes after the interval Thistle pulled one back from the penalty spot. However, when the marksman over celebrated and got in a row with James Lennox he was given a red card and that left the home side with just ten.

They kept working away but Bluebell had a lot of chances to add to their tally and there were some amazing misses and the woodwork twice saved Thistle and they just could not get the third goal.

Bluebell boss Stevie Kay felt his team should have scored more: “Always hard work at Dalkeith but there were chances to put the game out of sight although one way or another we did not convert them .

“However, we played some good stuff and are in the hat for the next round with no injuries. ”

Oakley United 2,

Lochore Welfare 4.

A MAGNIFICENT performance from the Welfare making it the second game in a row they have led by three goals at the break.

This was a tricky Fife and Lothians tie for Lochore at a team who have been doing well in the South Division over the past month or so but the Central Parkers were out of sight by the interval and the Blairwood team finished with just eight men as their discipline evaporated.

Welfare started the game well and took the lead in 12 minutes when a spectacular angled volley from Aaron Wood gave the Oakley ‘keeper no chance.

Then there was drama in 25 minutes when the United last line handled the ball outside his box and after he had been red carded David Byrne fired the free-kick past the sub ‘keeper from the edge of the box.

Two minutes from the break Lochore were three to the good when Ethan Anderson and Logan Donaldson worked a one-two and when he made ground in the Oakley box Donaldson was hauled down and James Adam made an expert job of the penalty.

Oakley began the second period well and pulled one back in 63 minutes and then in 71 minutes were awarded a penalty which was converted to make it 3-2.

Byrne hit the Oakley bar but there was no need for any worries amongst the travelling fans for three minutes later Adam completed his hat-trick from the spot when a hand ball incident gave Lochore another spot-kick.

In the closing minutes Oakley completely lost the place and had another two men red carded.

Manager Andy Healey was delighted with the performance: “Another very good first 45 minutes for us and even when Oakley pulled back two goals the lads did not panic and that was good to see.”

Crossgates Primrose 0,

Linlithgow Rose 1.

PRIMROSE gave Super League Linlithgow a real run for their money despite being reduced to nine men late on.

Crossgates opened well and had the team challenging at the top of the Super League hemmed in at times but in 15 minutes Rose showed how they could respond with a fine goal from dangerman Tommy Coyne.

This did not upset Crossgates and they kept playing some good football and had openings but in 32 minutes Andy McDonald was sent off which left them with a harder shift.

Only one goal in it at the break and in the second period Crossgates continued to pose problems for the Super League team but in 70 minutes they were down to nine after Greg Pearson picked up a red.

The gallant short handed Primrose kept battling and Rose just could not add to their tally.

Lochgelly Albert 3,

Pumphertson 3.

A HIGH quality South Division game at Gardiner’s Park which probably deserved to end level.

Third top Pumphy started impressively and took the lead with a fierce 20 yarder but Lochgelly came back into the game and squared things five minutes from the break when trialist Jason Quinn forced the ball home at the back post to make the break score 1-1.

Lochgelly started the second-half impressively and Josh McPhie saw the ‘keeper make a wonder save but three minutes later the midfielder tucked away Martin Rennie’s assist to put the Berts ahead.

However, Pumphy took advantage of some pretty average defending to put themselves ahead with goals in 61 and 69 minutes, but the Berts rolled their sleeves up and in time added on John Duffy’s header beat the ‘keeper to nestle in the corner of the net and give the home side a point and keep them in with a chance of getting back into the promotion race.

Burnstisland Shipyard 0,

Kelty Hearts 4.

A FINE second-half performance maintained Hearts 100 per cent record in the East of Scotland League.

But the final scoreline does not really reflect the problems that the Shippy gave Kelty in this visit to the coast for the New Central Parkers.

The first 45 minutes saw Kelty have a lot of the ball but they were kept out by some fine defending as a side from the Shipyard.

Scott Dalziel went close for Kelty as did Neil McCabe but at the break there were no goals.

The breakthrough came for Kelty when Dalziel was lying handy to convert after a good Kelty move and when McCabe added a second soon after the visiting fans could relax. By this time Dalziel had seen a penalty saved and still the Shipyard were working hard and they had a couple of half chances, but the killer blow came when Elliot Ford was able to squeeze the ball home.

Still Burntisland were defending well but in the closing minutes a fine finish from Stuart Cargill made it five wins from five starts for Hearts in the league.

Saturday’s fixtures. East Super League, Hill of Beath Hawthorn v Carnoustie Panmure. South Division, Lochgelly Albert v Harthill, Crossgates Primrose v Armadale Thistle. North Division, Lochore Welfare v Coupar Angus.

East of Scotland League, Eyemouth United v Kelty Hearts (all games 2.30).