THE junior programme on Saturday did not produce a win for the local sides with Hill of Beath Hawthorn, Dundonald Bluebell, Crossgates Primrose and Lochore Welfare all losing and Lochgelly Albert’s south Division game at Stoneyburn postponed due to a waterlogged pitch!

In the East of Scotland League Kelty Hearts had another big win as they established themselves as pacesetters.

Broxburn Athletic 3, Hill of Beath Hawthorn 1.

HAWS paid for moments of defensive slackness in this Super League fixture in West Lothian.

Hill of Beath made a good start and in 12 minutes Russell Grierson had a great chance to put them in front but he fired over from only six yards out. And in 23 minutes Broxburn made them pay when a foul in the Haws box saw the referee point to the spot and the penalty was converted.

The visitors had a couple of decent openings but could not finish and in 43 minutes a free header from six yards gave Athletic a two goal cushion.

Hill of Beath pulled one back in the second half when Lee Bryce’s header across goal was buried with his first touch by sub Lewis Elder.

But just as they were looking dangerous and threatening an equaliser, they lost a bad third goal and that gave them too much to do.

Haws are in the bottom five in the league and manager Kevin Fotheringham said: "You cannot expect to give away two of the goals we did and win games.

“Yet our defensive work has been good up to this game but the injury list is continuing to pose us problems. We had five out against Broxburn and I cannot see anyone being fit enough to return this coming weekend.”

Lochee United 3, Dundonald Bluebell 1.

THIS was expected to be a hard game for the ‘Bell and although they made a bright start and took the lead they lost their way mid game and paid the penalty.

Dundonald netted in seven minutes when Colin Wilson hooked the ball home after a corner and for a spell the visitors looked capable of getting another goal.

Lochee fought back and started to pose problems, squaring the match after 17 minutes from the spot after a strong tackle in the Bluebell box was penalised.

Dundonald tried to make a game of it and Scott Durie sent over a fine ball but there were no takers.

In 23 minutes United grabbed their second goal. Lochee flooded forward after a Bluebell attack broke down and the ball was swept into the net with the visiting defence caught out.

Dundonald had chances but Lewis McKenzie shot wide from a good position and the team could not get the leveller. A third goal for Lochee just before the half-time interval gave them plenty to do.

To their credit, Bluebell continued to have chances and they had two good penalty claims waved away by the referee. McKenzie was then denied by a wonder save and that summed up the Moorsiders’ day.

Bluebell boss Stevie Kay was unhappy at not getting at least one spot kick after the break: “There were two incidents where the ball hit hands but we did not get them and a goal at that time would have put us right back in the game.

“But really we did not play well and they were the better side.”

Oakley United 6, Crossgates Primrose 1.

A VERY poor performance from the Primrose with Oakley able to find plenty of holes in their rearguard.

Crossgates made the worst possible start to the game, losing a goal in the very first minute.

However, they managed to steady themselves and gradually started to put pressure on United. The leveller came after 23 minutes when Mark Wilkie produced a lovely finish to square the match.

But the goal seemed to spur on Oakley and they started to take command of the midfield. In 28 minutes they restored their lead with the Crossgates defence being caught out.

Alan Campbell's men needed to get to the break without losing another goal but in 42 minutes Oakley scored again and Crossgates were really up against it.

When United netted again five minutes into the second period, that was the game over as a contest and goals in 70 and 89 minutes, the latter from the penalty spot, made it a black day for the Humbug side.

Lochore Welfare 1, Blairgowrie 4.

AFTER their goal sprees of the previous two games this North Division game brought the Welfare back down to earth.

Blairgowrie took the lead in 12 minutes and although Lochore had a lot of the ball, clear-cut chances were few at either end.

The home side hit back to level the game in the 55th minute when Alan Woods made a great run and fed Logan Donaldson. His assist gave James Adam the chance to find the net and level the match.

Donaldson then saw the ‘keeper make a great save from his fierce shot. Lochore were then punished for a bad piece of defending and a free header saw Blairgowrie take the lead. Within two minutes they were 3-1 up as the roof fell in on Welfare.

They went for broke to try and get a goal back but a late strike gave Blair a rather flattering scoreline.

Said Lochore boss Andy Healey: “Our inexperience showed at their second goal and that was a killer moment for us. There was not much in the game but they used their experience to edge us out of it.”

Kelty Hearts 7, Ormiston 0.

KELTY Hearts kept their place at the top of the East of Scotland League with a comfortable win over Ormiston at Central Park.

The visitors had no answer to the fast moving front line as Thomas Courts' side made short work of the match.

Kelty had the Ormiston defence in trouble early on but they managed to defy a couple of home raids before the opener arrived, Scott Dalziel converting after a good move.

The visitors were struggling to cope with Hearts’ pace with Conrad Courts bombing down the left flank and Ross Philp causing problems on the right.

The second goal came from a set piece when Sean O’Neil got the ball in the net from close range.

The Hearts defence found themselves able to push forward, such was the dominance of the midfield, and they were three and easy when Stephen Husband blasted a shot past the keeper.

Ormiston were not really posing Hearts any problems and in the second period the fans expected more goals. They were not disappointed.

Dalziel was in the perfect spot to make it 4-0 before Husband got his second goal of the game as Hearts went nap.

In the closing stages Errol Douglas grabbed number six and the cap was put on another dominant performance when Stuart Cargill hit number seven.

Hearts are at the top on goal difference from Lothian Thistle and Tynecastle, with the three clubs on nine points. Manager Thomas Courts said: “The football in the second-half was a joy to watch at times.”

Saturday’s fixtures: East Super League, Hill of Beath Hawthorn v Bo'ness United, Dundonald Bluebell v Kennoway Star Hearts. South Division, Crossgates Primrose v Harthill Royal, Easthouses Lily v Lochgelly Albert. North Division, Scone Thistle v Lochore Welfare. South Region Challenge Cup first round, Selkirk v Kelty Hearts (2.30pm kick-offs).